These sleeping tips will allow you to the create the perfect sleeping routine. Following these will make you wake up earlier, be more fresh in the morning and make you more active during the day. Follow these things to help you sleep better and change your life!
Generic sleeping tips
Do these things all the time. The key to everything is creating a routine.
1) Exercise daily – Do at least something and the more earlier you do it, the better. If you are feeling lazy, just fo for a 15min walk to get your body active.2) Eat healthy – Don’t put all that crap in your body. Cut all caffeine after 3-4pm.
More specific things to help you sleep better
3) Get out of bed early – Probably you fell asleep too late and you can’t get up early because you are too tired. Do it anyway. When you sleep late you can’t get sleep early enough in the evening. Don’t create a bad habit.4) Get up at the same time every day – Even on weekends. This is one of the most important tips. You need to wake up at the same time and go to sleep at the same time. When you do this for a month straight, you don’t have to think about, your body has been adjusted.
5) Go to bed between 10pm-10:30pm – Our body naturally begins to wind down around this time and at around 11pm we enter the “second wind” which is when the body releases a burst of cortisol to keep us awake.
6) First thing in the morning, open the curtains – Open a windows also. The light and fresh air will trigger the body’s circadian rhytm. If possible, stare 5 minuts out of the window to soak in the sun and brightness.
7) Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up – You can been dehydrated the whole night. Drinking water will get your body flowing. If you want to take it to the next level, pour one organic lemon in the water.
9) Eat breakfast straight away – I never ate breakfast before and it was really hard to stuff food in my mouth in the morning. But it was one of the most important changes I made. Do it. Eat within 30 minutes of waking up. This will also help you get a routine going. The best eating strategy is eat a lot in the morning, medium at lunch and small at dinner.
9) Drop all after dinner snacking – Don’t eat anything for 2-3 hours before bedtime I. This is SUPER important if you want to start eating breakfast easily! The earlier you stop eating, the easier it is to wake up the next morning. The more awake you feel and the hungrier you are. All of these things help you fall asleep easier the next night.
10) Your bed should be used for one thing only: Sleep – It will generate a link in your mind. If you only sleep on your bed, then whenever you are on your bed you will feel sleepy. If you watch tv, then when you get to bed, you will want to watch tv (surprise, surprise!). Even sex on the bed is bad but hey I don’t blame you, you can’t change everything.
Almost bed time sleeping tips
This section is to exploit all five of your senses to create a bed time routine that will get you fall asleep easily.
11) Drink a cup of hot herbal tea – Good nighttime flavors are Chamomile and valerian. The warmth in your stomach actually helps you sleep. Chinese masseuses use this all the time to get their clients to relax. Some tisanes/infusions like Chamomile and Valerian have actually additional compounds to enhance sleep.
12) Reduce light before sleep – Start turning off lights 2 hours before bed time. You can use candles of other relaxing lights.
13) Don’t use electronic devices before bedtime – Don’t use your phone, tablet or TV for 2 hours before bedtime. If you must, get blue light blocking glasses. They help A LOT.
14) Sleep in the darkness – Turn off all the lights, black out curtains and use a sleep mask. If you are not willing to go that far, do some of the steps. Darkness is the key. (Check out our review of Best sleeping masks)
15) Meditate – For some of you, meditating might sound like bullshit. But trust me, it’s just a way to get you in a relaxed state. If this is weird for you, you can try watching ASMR videos before going to bed. You can do it also at bedtime if you don’t watch the screen of your phone.
Bed time sleeping time – When you are physically ready to get into bed
16) Keep your bedroom cool and bed warm – Optimal temperature for bedroom is between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit (16-19°C).17) Pick a night time smell and use it – At bedtime, use Sleep pillow mist (link takes you to Amazon). This is nice at home, but it’s even better when you are abroad and jetlagged. If you have used it constantly, the smell will trigger a feeling of falling asleep. Trust me, try it.